Wednesday, November 21, 2012

'Twas the day before Thanksgiving ... Eight thoughts about Thanksgiving

  1. Thanksgiving seems to have become more “Family & Friends” based than any other holiday. The Murphy agenda revolves around Family, Food, and Football. Take the time to build relationships and memories…sit at the table a little longer…do a fun family outing like going for a walk after everyone’s eaten way too much:)
  2. Speaking of memories…as I’ve talked to my boys about our annual Thanksgiving traditions, it is the LITTLE THINGS that they remember most! Dear Mom and Dad, don’t fret over the table cloth being perfect (nobody remembers a week later!!!) What kids and families do remember is time spent together!
  3. Ok, now I’m on a roll…when you get together with extended family, LOVE ONE ANOTHER. You do not need to make it your personal project to explain why you voted the way you did in the presidential election and why they should have voted the same:) People are not argued into a relationship with Christ; they are loved and served into a relationship.
  4. For some, this will be the first Thanksgiving since the loss of a dear loved one/family member. Give yourself permission to grieve. How grief works is a funny thing. I’ve often said it reminds me of ocean waves…a happy thought or memory…followed by a wave of sadness…followed by another great memory. Remember, death can never steal those great memories. I will be praying for you this Thanksgiving Day. YOU WILL MAKE IT.
  5. I like pecan and pumpkin pie…in moderation of course:)
  6. I can laugh at friends who get up at 3am to stand in long lines in order to save $50 on a purchase.
  7. High school basketball season is right around the corner (my oldest son’s team is very young…it could be a long season, but I still love it)
  8. Two days after Thanksgiving I get to teach the wrap up to our series on personal finance. GIVING THANKS is at the heart of a life well lived in obedience to the author / owner / source of life.
Psalm 106:1 (NLT)
Praise the Lord! Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.
 
See you this weekend,
Pastor Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment