So many of you have asked for an update on Serena’s dad and how you can be praying, so we wanted to update everyone with the most recent information.
- Thank you so much for caring and reaching out. We preach that relationships make a difference, but we have been witnesses of this truth in the last 10 days.
- Over the last few months, Denny had been having some bouts of confusion, but many of us do. It is becoming apparent, as we help sort through things, that Denny knew something was going on because he began finalizing his personal affairs early this summer.
- Two weeks ago, Denny was walking an hour each day, lifting weights every other day, and enjoying retirement, but on July 21 he became very disoriented and nauseated. He called his internal medicine doctor who asked him to come to his office immediately but, as soon as the doctor saw Denny, he sent him directly to the hospital.
- After a week of tests in the hospital, including two spinal taps and finally a brain biopsy, it was determined that Denny has a Glioblastoma Multiforme. John McCain has helped this type of cancer become more well-known lately, yet the significant difference is our “Papa’s” cancer has spread throughout his entire brain whereas Senator McCain’s was a singular central mass. Surgery, chemo, and radiation are not options for Denny.
- After careful and prayerful consultation with many doctors, Denny was moved to a hospice facility yesterday. It appears Denny will be meeting Jesus face-to-face within the next couple of weeks. His mind and health have decreased significantly in the past two weeks because of the fast growth of the tumor but when we shared with him the results of the biopsy and what the doctors said about treatment, he said he understood and he’s ready to meet Jesus whenever that time comes. It’s a very sad time but Denny’s very evident faith in Jesus and heaven gives us hope.
Continue to pray for Denny and our entire family during this difficult time (his wife, Sharon; his son, Sam; and our boys, Jackson, Mac and Peyton).
P.S. It has been interesting to watch so many friends come by to visit Denny. He has been president and CEO of several large companies throughout his career but, what is interesting is, not one person has been talking about his business expertise, instead, every person comments on how he made them feel and their special relationship. RELATIONSHIPS really do matter.
Tell someone you love them today and enjoy every minute.
Thank you so much for praying for us and loving us.
We love you,
Ken & Serena